Monday, November 17, 2008

Muffin







(for some reason, it doubled all the photos, but since they took nearly an hour to load, I'm going to leave them)

My were we surprised! Muffin arrived Friday, November 14,2008 at 2:23PM.
She weighed 6 lbs. 9 oz. was 20 inches long, and has a full head of wispy hair (to quote her big sister).

I can't remember where but there is a verse in the Bible about the Lord laughing at mans plans. He must've read my blog and gotten such a kick out of MY plans that He
decided to stir things up.
Thursday (the 13th) was my appointment with the OB to discuss induction and determine if Baby was head down or not. We ended up just talking about what would need done of the baby was not in position, and he sent me off to another office post-haste for an ultra sound. Whew. After what seemed to be the worlds longest U/S in the worlds smallest room, I went on my happy way,confindant in the knowledge that Baby was indeed head down, and thinking blissfully of all that I needed to do in the next few weeks. (this is where God started laughing)

An hour after I arrived home the phone rang and it was the Dr. "Bonnie?" "Yes?"
"How do you feel about having your baby tonight?" "Are you serious?"
He was. The cyst on the cord had doubled in size in the last month, and since they knew nothing about what was causing it, I was considered full term, and baby was in position, he wanted to induce ASAP. I hung up and started shaking like a leaf. I don't like having my plans turned on their head. I like to know whats going on and be prepared. My sister was already here so, after our traditional pre-baby dinner of Chinese take-out (just dumplings and an eggroll this time), B. and I headed off to the hospital.

We didn't have the baby Thursday night. I hadn't thought about the fact that while baby was ready to come out certain things had to be sped up with outside help. My midwife and the nurse (who we got a huge kick out of when she asked me if I needed to go potty before I went night-night. She had twin 3 year old boys)got all that going, and in the morning they told me I could shower, and eat breakfast before they started Pitocin. HOT DOG! I get to start clean, rested and full. The nusre had me measured at 1 cm when they started the PIT. The Dr. thought I should be further than that after the other stuff done, and when he checked me an hour later, said I was at 5 cm. And Baby was breech. After going over all the options, yada yada, we decided to try turning the baby, but I had to be prepped for an ermergancy C-section as a precaution. Then they turned her. A doctor on each side of me pushing her head or bottom. I cried. Hard. It hurt like you would not believe. But it worked.
Fast forward about 2 hours and they were trying to make me comfortable since the epidural only made my left leg numb. They kept asking if I felt like I needed to push. The midwife had just finished saying I was at 8 cm. and B. said "Be ready she goes fast once she's at 8!" When I had to push. NOW. Boy was there a scramble! B. said the actually had to hold the babies head in to get the table down and a cloth on it! Rachel was born less than 10 minutes after I measured 8 cm. And she came out with her left foot by her HEAD. The cyst looked innocent enough, but they are doing a biopsy anyway.

And now we are home. I feel great, this has been the easiest recovery. THe kids LOVE her, and she is an easy baby. And so tiny after9lb. 4oz. and 8lb. 14oz. babies.
Thats it for now, I am tired and it took forever to type all this, be back later, with a few more pictures.
Bonnie

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

oh my goodness! WHAT A STORY!

I was so thankful to be kept up to date with your whereabouts...I started to wonder what might have happened!

Do you know that she is a BEAUTIFUL girl? I mean, surely you do---but she REALLY is. I can't wait to see more pictures! I think she looks like you~ but I don't know that I have ever seen your hubby before, so....

I am so thankful to God that you and your sweetling were kept safe and that you have your little one in your arms. What a wee thing! OH, to have a wee one like that. (It will never be for me, methinks)

What I wouldn't GIVE for someone to say "This is the day!" :-)

Many congratulations to you and yours~ and welcome into this world little Rachel!

PS. My email address is sgrbear724 at yahoo dot com If you wouldn't be opposed, I would love you to email me your address. PLEASE. and Thank you. ;-)

Rest well Mama!

Davene said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How wonderful to have sweet Rachel here safe and sound!

I love birth stories, in all their twists and turns and surprises. No two are ever alike, and it's always delightful to hear how each one unfolds. Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures!

I hope you can get some rest somewhere along the way!

Cara said...

She is even cuter up close and in person!
-Joel

Unknown said...

What a cutie! Congratulations to the whole family. It's pretty amazing when God turns our plans upside down, isn't it?

Sarah said...

She's gorgeous! Callie says hi and she can't wait to meet her. :)

I love that she's so tiny and still has little chubby cheeks. Kiss them for me!

Unknown said...

How wonderful! So pleased to hear that both you and little Rachel are well (if tired). What a beauty she is -- looking made me just the tiniest bit jealous of your good luck! But you deserve it!

New Mom said...

Congratulations! My goodness, what a whirlwind! I am so glad everything went well {except for the pain involved with the turning} and that you didn't have to have a C-section. She is beautiful!

Charree said...

Congratulations! I am happy to here that everyone is healthy. You little girl is beautiful.

Have a blessed day!
~Charree

Josiah and Anna said...

Wow, what a darling Niece i have!! I wish I could be there with you guys. Give 'muffin' lots of kisses and hugs (and the other two!). Lots of love,
Anna

Emily Joy said...

Aww! What a cute little bundle of joy!