Monday, October 8, 2007

Some Recommended Reads

I've thoroughly enjoyed these books recently, and as I'm always looking for a good new book to read, I thought I'd share them. Here they are in no particular order:
The Harmony Series by Phillip Gulley. A really funny look at a small town and its people through they eyes of the Friends Church Pastor. LOVED this set!

The Austen Series by Debra White Smith. Debra has successfully re-written the Jane Austen Books, names have been changed, and the plot modernized, but they are really good.

There are raccoons fighting in our back-yard right now, in case your interested.

Anything by Dee Henderson. If you like police type excitement, you'll love her books. Think of them as Christian versions of shows like CSI, or, well shoot, I know there are other shows along these lines, but since I don't watch them, I can't think of their names. Just trust me and read her stuff, its good.

Simple Secrets To a Beautiful Home formerly called The Spirit of Loveliness by Emilie Barnes. Wonderful ideas of little things you can do to bring bits of beauty into your home and life.

Mary Jane's Stitching Room, by Mary Jane Butters. If you're not familiar with Mary Jane Butters, she has a magazine out called Mary Jane's Farm, as well as a line of organic foods. This book has a lot of fun sewing and stitching projects, and is beautiful to look at. It even has a glossary of embroidery stitches and how to do them.

Any and all Gooseberry Patch Christmas books. Chock full of great Christmas recipes, crafts, gift ideas and info for any skill level. I get these out from the library and drool over them every year.

That's all for now. I'm off to make some coffee, try to sneak in some sewing before small people are up, and get the Veggie Tales Sports Utility Vehicle song out of my head, where its been driving me nuts for the last 2 days...

6 comments:

Davene said...

These sound wonderful! Now if I could only steal away for a day or two to read quietly by myself... :)

I agree that Phillip Gulley books are fantastic!

Bonnie said...

I read the same way I watch movies, 5-10 minutes here and there. Depends on the distractions while nursing!

New Mom said...

Hi Mrs. Bonnie,

Thanks for the recommendations. I can't wait to see if the library has the series by Phillip Gulley and the ones by Debra White Smith. Haven't read either of those authors before. Thankfully, I only live about 3 min. from the library.

I like Dee Henderson and the Gooseberry Patch books too. I think my fav. was called True Devotion. I love the crafts and recipes in the G.P. books also... I just love a good book!

Unknown said...

If you like quaint tales about little villagers (with just a trace of acerbity), perhaps you'd enjoy the "Miss Read" books (the pseudonym of Dora Jessie Saint). They're easy reading, but are a good commentary on real life.

Sarah said...

M's final two interviews with Progressive are Wednesday at noon and 1pm! They hope to make a decision by Friday!!!

Have you been following the Tribe at all? Amazing!

Kimberly said...

We have many of the same favorites! What fun. I wish I could find ladies around here that enjoyed these same types of books. It would be fun to do a book club. All I seem to find are what I'd consider rated "R" book clubs. sigh.