Monday, December 5, 2011

Mary's House

B. and I had Children's Church (Sunday School) yesterday (3-6 year olds), and since our story was Jesus' birth, I went a bit crazy. "I know! I'll have the kids visit Mary's house in Nazareth, and she'll tell them the story of Jesus birth, and let them feel real wool, and smell frankincense and myrrh (I have some (at least perfume that smells like it), thanks to my in-laws visit to Israel shortly before B. and I got married), and taste some of the foods like they would have eaten, it'll be great!"
It was fun, but outside of my own kids, and a friends little girl, I don't know that it was the smashing success I hoped for.

I borrowed a pavilion (awning? gazebo? what are these things called???) and with bed sheets, a pilfered length of purple fabric (fear not, all the items I pilfered were returned. I think I borrowed a grand total of 10. Shows how much junk I've accumulated. But not those plants, those aren't mine. I HATE silk plants.), a scarf and a few clips and clothes pins, made the house.

Inside I set it up by the window to help with the lighting.

Our shoe shelf worked great and I used battery operated tea lights. I *almost* made salt clay lamps. Fortunately, I came to my senses, and remembered my mom has pfaltzgraffe and the cups made decent oil lamps- with a mini play-doh can to set the light on.
I made flat bread- in a moment of panic, at about 11:30 Saturday night, I realized I had made Greek flat bread, and not pita bread. I very nearly started over again, but then thought better of it. So, the kids had Greek flat bread hummus (not Biblical, but well, its hummus!), dried dates and figs, pomegranate, and apples because I know most children are picky and won't try new things. Not mine, they'll eat anything, and Beans probably ate the most. I was right. The bread and apples were huge hits.

I covered the book case to look like a door, and then took a crooked picture.

Saturday night, when I had my bread panic attack, I was cutting out, and sewing 30 finger puppets for the kids to glue stick together. Some of the glue held, and some of it didn't. They're sure cute though, and I think I could be addicted to making these.

Me and "Jesus" inside. "Jesus" was DONE and wanted to run and cry and eat more fruit and sleep and nurse, all at the same time. He's a rather caucasian little "Jesus". Maybe he'll darken as he gets older...

Ugh, please ignore my 4 and a half hours of sleep hideousness, and focus on my dazed wee boy. (Its the second time I loaded the wrong picture, and I quit.)
I had a ball coming up with this, and I'm curious to see what our lesson is next month. We might have to "go back in time " again.

EDITED TO ADD: It just dawned on me that the 4 kids who really liked it (3 of which were mine) watch little to no t.v. and are or will be homeschooled. Coincidence? I think not.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Sooo cute!!

Unknown said...

Wow! Just LOVELY, Bonnie! My kids would absolutely LOVE a Sunday school lesson like that! :) You look fine in those pictures and "Jesus" sure is cute! ;)

Rebecca said...

can I come to Sunday School?!?!?!?! I don't know how it COULDN'T have been a smashing success....that is amazing!

The room looks so realistic, your costume is fabulous, SMELLING frankinsense and myrrh?! Cool. Snacks? Finger puppets?!?



You are incredible.

Elisha said...

Genius! That's all I gotta say. Oh, and 'hi'! I've been away from the computer for a while...

Davene Grace said...

You are so creative; I love it!!

I also love your "edited to add" note. ;-)

And in your sidebar under Christmas Baking...eggnog snickerdoodles?!?! Care to share the recipe? :)

Elisha said...

I'm with Davene on the recipe request for eggnog snickerdoodles!!!

Karen Andreola said...

The little adventure you prepared so lovingly looks wonderful. It will be memorable for the children in ways you'll never know.
I clicked on the daffodil post suggested below this post - so beautiful. Someone with a love of William Wordsworth's poem must have buried the bulbs.
Karen A.