Kind liking all the posts I've been seeing where all the pictures come first and all the chatting comes next.
I can hardly believe July is nearly over, that the fair is next month, that we'll be starting back up with school next month and that my BABY will be ONE next month. This year has flown.
This summer is flying and I can't think of a gol-durn exciting thing to write about. We've just been living.
The weather has been all over the place: cool. beastly hot and rainy. (B. sent us all down the basement the evening we got the flooding you saw in the garden pictures. Not real fun to hear on the news: "Don't look for the rotation before seeking shelter. The clouds will not allow it and any tornados will simply appear...") cool and rainy. beastly hot. no rhyme or reason and the bugs are so bad, not real conducive to playing outside.
I'll be picking my first batch of beans tomorrow, and probably basil. Other than a little yellow from all of the wet, the garden seems to be doing good. It's grown even more since those pictures were taken.
And I get all crazy after a day of weeding, tilling and mulching and start taking pictures of my sunburnt dust covered self.
I've got lots of canning to do, homeschool assessments to do, last years books to put away, this years to get out, fair projects to work on (and to decide what to do) and and and...
Tonight we're going to go get a few more hens. The 6 that we got a few months ago? FIVE roosters and ONE hen. Really. I think we go took.
Or someone knew what they were doing and picked out most of the hens, because really, even though they were straight run, to get only 1 hen? Something ain't adding up.
A snippet of home and farm.
Trying to slow down and savor.





7 comments:
It is good good good to hear from you! Summer IS a busy time and so I UNDERSTAND. But understanding doesn't mean I have to LIKE it! ;-)
I like the pictures above and chatty below too- and it makes for easy commenting!
#1: I envy you that pudgy skin to kiss.
#2: Can I come to dinner? That looks not only de-lish, but inviting and beautiful too. I love the perspective of the picture too.
#3: I bought popsicle making thingies this year too! And I love honey's dress!
#4. SWOOOOOOOOOOON. I WANT THAT WINDOW TREATMENT. It is GORGEOUS. AND WORTHY OF ALL CAPS! Plus, the baking bread cooling out the window is too cute too.
We had quite a time with rain too. I was afraid the garden was gone when the onions were under 2-3 inches of water in spots and the forecast predicted rain for a week after that. It is okay now though and actually pretty THIRSTY! Your garden looks GREAT.
My face looks that red WITHOUT a sunburn- just because I am HOT. Heck- even in WINTER it is. Pity me.
It was good to hear from you. I ordered a Lehmans catalog since we haven't gotten one since we moved and I want to get an electric ice cream maker in the worst way. Then I thought of you and how I could visit you AND a Lehmans and call it good. I wish.
(I don't think we will be doing that curriculum fair after all. In fact, it might even be over by now. sigh. I wonder if I will EVER get to one...)
Bonnie, I adore this post. I might have to steal the idea. I have GOBS of photos sitting around my ole computer. :)
I love all this!
What are you going to do with all your roosters? Chicken soup?
--
Love, love, love--chubby toes & cheeks, bread cooling under all that lace-pinned it!
--
I dropped off 23 entries between the boys and I at the fair last night. I'd do more today for garden things, but I can't be there for the couple hours you can drop off those things.
So few do our fair here. It's sad.
Ok, the above comment is me. I don't know why it just lists me as K sometimes. Kimberly's Cup
I too, love all your pictures!
Oh to have a garden like yours... Or at least a place to cultivate one! Perhaps one day... *sigh*
Love the 'boy in tree' pic. THAT speaks 'summer time!'
Me thinks you need a big 'ol farm table
Now to go make coffee and pack...
-Love those smushy, baby cheeks. They're incredible.
-I've taken sunburnt, dusty garden pictures! I think you should join the Frugal Fancy-pants club and do a "reality"/"fancypants" post.
-Both the table shot and the bread cooling in the window pictures just made me squeeze my computer's cheeks. (YOU know.)
-Your garden looks lush and green! The lakeside view is especially lovely.
-Boo! to the roosters. Them's some bad odds, there. Hopefully, they'll make some savory winter stews, so all's not lost.
-Did you ever end up making those dresses? If so, pictures please. If not, at least you got some sleep. :)
Hey lady.
I have a question for you- being the expert that you are on such matters-
a few years ago (or last year-who knows) I remember you saying you sterilize jars in the oven.
My question is this: was that the first year you had done this? Or had this been tried and true? If so- what temperature did you do it at? I just opened up my first batch of ruined applesauce the other day from last year and there was mold on top! That has never happened to me before! I am not sure if I didn't sterilize it well or if it was something to do with not cooking the apples thoroughly or canning for long enough... anyway. I thought I should double check on the sterilizing bit and see if I am doing it right.
I'd hate to do it all wrong this year and have nasty food all next year! :-) Thanks!
Post a Comment