Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pie*ography Thursday

    

I have been SO excited for this since Anne Marie posted Pie*ography Thursdays last week. I baked, set up and photographed my pie and then never got the chance to post it. But that just puts me further ahead this week.
So about pie. I LOVE pie. Pie is one of B.'s favorite desserts, and sadly, I don't make it nearly as often as I should. My crusts are tasty but ugly and well, who wants to eat ugly pie? Okayfine I do.

Today -er last Thursday- I was feeling savory. I had been to the dentist, had another visit there the following morning and wanted comfort food. Deep Dish Hunters Pie kind of comfort, with venison and carrots and mushrooms hiding under a garlic mashed potato crust, oh yes comfort at it's finest.
I realized too, as I was making it, that nearly all of us in this house contributed somehow to this meal.
B. spending a bitter cold winters evening out in the garage butchering the deer we were blessed with, me pressure canning it the next day, herbs from my herb garden, peppers from the vegetable garden B. tilled and the kidlets helped me to plant and mulch and weed, my 8 year old daughter helping me peel the carrots, stir and add and smell.
All of us working together in some way at some point and it coming together in a way we all can see and savor. The bounty of the Lord sitting on our table. I often remind myself that food is a privilege, not a right. And we join hands around our outgrown little table 3 times a day to thank HIM for this privilege.



    
Deep Dish Hunters Pie
(I just eyeball this recipe any more, but here is the measured one)

Mashed Potato Crust:
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (I like skins on, but Handsome Husband doesn't)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 milk
1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 crushed dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; drain and mash. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Go ahead and taste it. Good, huh? Well resist the temptation to eat them all by setting them aside until later.


The Filling:
1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 c. sliced carrots
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 chopped green pepper
1 Tbsp. butter
2 cups cooked cubed venison (left roast works well, I've even used ground venison. Sub beef if you're not a venison fan.)
1 1/2 c. beef broth
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
3 Tbsp. cold water
1/3 c. shredded cheddar cheese




In a large skillet (I used my cast iron skillet, then just baked the whole thing in it) saute your mushrooms, carrots, onions and peppers in butter until tender, for this is right. The butter I mean. Use olive oil instead of butter if you must, but please don't ruin this with margarine. Ugh. 
Add the venison, broth, thyme and nutmeg. A splash of red wine is nice too. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat and veggies are tender. 25-30 minutes give or take.
Combine the flour and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil, and stir until thickened, roughly 2 minutes. Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish and spread mashed potatoes over the top. I'm going to be honest and say that is harder than it sounds. I drop spoonfuls of the potatoes around somewhat evenly, then smooth them together. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Your house will smell positively divine. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and bake another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. 
Serves: 6




6 comments:

Candy C. said...

That is a truly beautiful pie and I love your use of the cast iron skillet!
Visiting from Pie*ography. :)

Anne Marie said...

Hi Bonnie! I haven't cooked much with venison, for my husband isn't a hunter (yet) but this looks like an easy and delicious recipe for my large family -
thank you so much for participating!
xo + blessings,
Anne Mare

Kimberly said...

You are ahead of me.
I baked my pie and even did the photos, but didn't get it written the first week. And...it's still not done for today's link up. Ugh.

traci said...

well my husband and son are hunters so they would love this. i am always looking for new ways to cook the venison. this is so yummy looking. thanks for joining in.

Unknown said...

How YUMMY, Bonnie!! :) Dh is DEFINITELY a hunter around here...I gotta try this one! :)

What is your favorite type of sweet pie? :) Mine is probably pumpkin... :)

Bonnie said...

I hope you all do try it, even if you use beef- it's sooo good!